Monday, May 5, 2014

Must....Reach...uTOOLity Belt....

Every handyman needs his tools. And as a computer scientist, consider me to be a software handyman. So how are tools useful to me as a computer scientist? Well besides helping me program and communicate with other developers. Here are some of the tools I've picked up this semester, and what I've used them for:

Programming
  • BlueJ - Very straightforward editor for Java programs. It doesn't have as much functionality as IDEs I've used for other languages, so I will be looking for another IDE soon.
  • Notepad++ - Surprisingly enough, I use this for my C programming. It even has a language option that does syntax highlighting based on the specified language.
  • Cygwin - Program that allows you to compile and run your C code.
 Documentation
  • Microsoft Office - For all your documentation needs, whether that be Word for word processing, or PowerPoint for presentations
  • Adobe Photoshop - Used primarily for designing posters for presentations
  • InDesign - Used to make QR Codes
  • EasyBacklog - Good for Agile development process, can use this website to create user stories and product/sprint backlogs.
Sharing & Communication
  • Google Drive - Can create and store documents online. Google Drive also supports shared editing, so many users can work on a document at the same time. This is my "goto" for all document editing from now on.
  • Dropbox - Provides cloud storage of files. You can use Dropbox to share files across people and/or computers. I personally use this application to synchronize my important files across all my devices.
One way tools are changing is that they are becoming more web-based. With the improvements in internet speeds over the last decade, there has been an increased emphasis on cloud technology. Using web-based tools removes the need to have to download a tool in order to use it, removes having to install updates for that same tool, and allows for instant data sharing across devices and users that utilize that data.

Sources:
. (n.d.). . Retrieved May 6, 2014, from http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/violin/violin1103/violin110300083/9061049-computer-keyboard-with-tools-key--technology-background.jpg

1 comment:

  1. There are definitely more tools becoming more web-based. Qualtrics can be considered an online tool to help provide an alternative to creating interactive forms for websites. Try considering Eclipse for your Java programs. Eclipse is probably the most commonly used IDE for Java.

    ReplyDelete